Skip To Content

Life Changes: Divorce (process)

Getting Divorced in Utah: How do I Start the Process of Getting Divorced?­

paper workOnce you have verified that you are eligible for divorce in Utah and whether or not you are going to retain an attorney, the paper work and filings begin. The initial paperwork will be taken care of by your attorney, or you may use OCAP to find the forms and fill them out on your own.

File the Documents

After the forms are complete, the documents need to be filed with the district court in the county where at least one of the parties has resided for the past three months. See Filing Procedures­­­­ on the Utah Courts website.

Serve the Documents

The Divorce papers must be served to the “respondent” within 120 days of the filing with the court. You must also provide a Proof of Service form. See Serving Papers on the Utah Courts website.

At this point, the process is started. The respondent is required to answer the divorce petition within 21 days if they were served in Utah. They have 30 days if they were served outside of Utah.

Good luck in your search for answers. I hope this is helpful.

(Click here to return to Life Changes: Divorce “home” blog)

If you find yourself needing assistance buying or selling a home, my team can help you.

Call Chris: 435-313-3966

Or Visit:

**I am not an attorney and am in no way trying to give legal advice or practice law. The information on this website is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.

Two attorneys in St. George, Utah that practice family law are Sam Draper and Adam Caldwell. The primary source for information on this site has been the Utah Courts Website.


Trackback from your site.

Leave a Reply